My Sense of Place

Where do you feel most at home? What gives you a sense of belonging and comfort? Where can you be your true self? Picture this place: What does it look like? Is anyone there with you?

     Personally, I feel most at home whenever I'm with my friends and family. Growing up, I moved around quite frequently, and therefore, my sense of place was constantly being modified. My sense of place isn't related to a particular space, but is adapted to where the people I love the most are. My friends and family are extremely important to me, and breeds a huge immense sense of comfort and happiness for me. I can be my authentic self without fear of judgment or any expectations. That's what a sense of place should provide for you. My heart and mind are at peace knowing I am able to enjoy my family in all it's laughter, love, and sometimes it's craziness! Your family may drive you
 crazy sometimes, but you still love them anyways! However, if I had to choose a specific place, it would be my grandparents house. I'm Cuban, and it's no surprise that my family is bold, loud and chaotic! Nevertheless, I am so unbelievably proud of where my family is from and my Cuban culture. That is a reason why home is where my family is, and that's usually always at my grandparents house. My grandparents love to cook! They are always inviting everyone over to spend time together and enjoy meals together as a family. Home is where the heart is, and my heart is always with my friends and family.

     I'm originally from Miami, Florida, but I have lived in the Cape Coral/Fort Myers Area for a couple of years now. All my family has since moved back to Miami after I graduated High School; therefore, I currently live with a roommate in a gated community just 15 minutes from FGCU. I never noticed the beautiful flowers around my community until today. I stepped outside and took a minute to observe my surroundings. Hidden were bright, bold flowers, and I even discovered berries on a plant! My neighborhood was a little foreign to me before today. I never noticed how much hidden, unique beauty was in my community. There were many different kinds of flowers, and I never stopped to immerse myself in it. I walked around my neighborhood for 20 minutes, and I was so relaxed. I breathed in fresh air. My skin felt the warmth of the sun. My worries? They vanished. Not a single thought of stress or worry infected my mind. It was just me, myself, and nature. With the chaos of work and the recent start of a new semester and internship, I haven't felt that serene in a while. I was experience nature deficit and the remedy? Nature. What is it about nature that soothes our minds and heals our heart? Spending so much time indoors left me feeling flat and dead inside, but a step into nature recharged me more than a nap could ever do. It really did make me feel alive. Connecting with humans is important, but try connecting with nature and experience the transformation for yourself. It's a unity that ignites an inner peace like nothing else can. Although my true sense of place isn't directly where I live, I still fully appreciate the beauty and comfort my neighborhood brings me. Below are some beautiful glimpses of what I come home too.

Figure 1: These unique flower buds really captivated my attention. 

Figure 2: I wonder what type of berries these are. Can you name then?
Figure 3: If only you could smell these flowers through your computer screen; They were so unbelievably fragrant. 

Figure 4: My favorite flower I discovered while walking through my neighborhood!


Figure: 5 A glimpse of my neighborhood through the cracks of a tree as the sun was beginning to set.

* All photos were taken by me 

Comments

Popular Posts